Moving to a new country is exciting, but hiring international movers can be costly. Our international moving cost calculator will help you narrow potential costs to help with planning and budgeting.
Whether moving to Europe from New York or California to Australia, we will help break down the costs associated with hiring professional movers.
It’s always best to speak with international moving companies directly about the details of your move.
International Moving Cost Calculator
The cost of hiring international movers
Hiring an international mover can cost $1500 to $9000. However, it’s important to note that the size of your move, service, and final destination will have the most significant impact.
Unlike long-distance moves, international moving costs are calculated on cubic feet and or shipping container size. Professional packing, loading, trucking, and customs clearance are also associated with moving expenses.
International moving services:
- Professional packing
- Packing supplies/moving boxes
- Trucking or drayage
- Ocean Freight
- Customs fees
- Port and Terminal Handling Charges
- Full destination services
Most moving companies will allow you to customize a shipping solution around your budget and requirements. They will also provide tips on how to save money on your move.
Check out: Long-distance moving cost calculator
Cost of a Full Container Load (FCL)
If you’re moving two bedrooms or more, chances are you will need an FCL. Most international moving companies offer 20′,40′, and 40′ high cube containers. The volume of your household goods will determine the size container you will need.
Below you will find the average Cost of FCL service (port to port):
- 20′ container: $1300 to $1500
- 40′ Container: $1400 to $1800
- 40′ HC Container: $1500 to $2000
The origin and destination port will be the most significant cost factor. Shipping costs also vary based on factors such as time of year. Our international moving cost calculator will help you put the pieces together to help determine costs. You can also speak to a moving company to gather more information.
Cost of a Less than Container Load (LCL)
An LCL shipment is a minor move that ships in a consolidated container. Your household goods will be grouped with others sent from the same origin and destination points.
Most international moving companies offer LCL service to and from most major ports. Depending on the service you request, the cost can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
Below you will find the average Cost of an LCL (port to port):
- 100 cubic feet: $500 to $700
- 200 cubic feet: $900 to $1200
- 300 cubic feet: $1100 to $1500
- 400 cubic feet $1300 to $1700
Door-to-door moving is suggested. However, if you’re on a tight budget, you can consider a port service. An international move has many moving parts you can speak to your moving company about.
Cost of air freight shipping
The cost of shipping your household goods by air is typically double that of ocean freight and can range from $3000 to $10,000. The weight, volume, and destination are the most significant cost factors.
If you’re in a hurry, air freight is your best choice. However, expensive household goods will get to their destination quickly. If you’re interested in air freight service, you can request a quote from the international mover of your choice.
Not all international moving companies offer air freight, so it’s essential to do the proper research before seeking a moving estimate.
Cost of professional packing
An international moving company’s professional packing costs $500 to $1500. The amount of packing supplies and time will have the most significant cost factor.
Having an international moving company professional pack for you can be costly, and self-packing can save money. However, it’s worth considering hiring the pros for many reasons. Below are things to consider when self-packing for an international move.
- It can affect your insurance options
- Labor intensive
- You will need to get boxes and supplies
- Potential for damage
Packing service should always be considered, especially if you have a large household. The few hundred dollars you may save can be even more costly in the end.
Cost of port and customs fees
The cost of port and customs fees are dependent on the destination country and what you’re shipping. However, you can expect to pay $300 to $800. Most international moving companies can include customs fees as part of the quote.
The destination country will have the most significant impact on customs fees. It would help to check with customs or speak with your moving company regarding the costs.
If you’re moving door to door, they are typically included. However, every international moving company works differently, so you should check it out.
Cost for trucking to and from the port
If you have household goods picked up, trucking costs will be $300 to $800. You will need to have your LCL shipment trucked to the port, or your container trucked to the port.
You can eliminate trucking costs by delivering household goods to a nearby port warehouse, but not all moving companies offer that service.
If you’re on a tight budget and want to deliver your household goods, it’s always best to speak with International Van Lines directly to help with planning. You can use the international moving cost calculator for planning.
Cost of shipping a car overseas
The cost of shipping a car overseas is $1800 to $4000. The service you require will have the biggest impact on the cost. The make and model of your vehicle can also affect the price.
Below you will find the different shipping options:
- Roll-on Roll-off (ro/ro): Save money
- Consolidation: Cost-effective
- Single container: Expensive
- Air freight: Most expensive
- Ro/Ro: If you’re looking for the least expensive shipping option, then ro/ro is your best bet. However, you must drop off and pick up your car at the ports.
- Consolidation: Shipping your car in a consolidated container will help save money and protect your vehicle.
- Single container: If you’re shipping household goods and a car, you can get a single container. You will also have the option of getting a container for your vehicle.
- Air freight: Shipping by air is the most expensive option, but it’s your best option if you’re in a hurry.
To help you plan, you can use the moving cost calculator. International Van Lines can assist you if you’re searching for a professional moving company.
International moving company insurance
Most moving companies that handle overseas shipping will offer some insurance. International Van Lines charges between 3% to 4% of the good declared value. Below you will find the different insurance options:
- All-risk insurance: If you’re hiring movers to professional pack, you can get all-risk insurance. It’s based on the good’s declared value and may hold a deductible of $500 to $1000. It will cover the total replacement cost of the item.
- Total loss insurance: If you’re self-packing, you can get total loss insurance. It will cover the value of your entire move, meaning your goods would need to be considered a complete loss.
- Full Value Protection: Some international moving companies offer full value protection, which amounts to about $10 per lbs per item.
- Basic Valuation: if you do not purchase insurance, you will get basic valuation coverage of 60 cents per lbs per item.
You can use the international moving cost calculator to help with planning, but you should always speak with your mover about insurance.
Also check out: How much will it cost to move overseas
How to calculate your international moving Cost
When moving abroad, ocean freight is the standard mode of transportation. The cubic feet and service are how international moving services are calculated. Below you will find a list of services that should be considered when calculating moving costs:
- Packing & Supplies
- Trucking to the port of sailing
- Ocean freight services
- Full destination services
The items mentioned above are services that are involved in moving overseas. If you’re moving door-to-door, you will want to consider all the above services.
There is other shipping option that can help reduce the cost of your move.
How to calculate cubic feet
Knowing how to calculate your cubic feet is essential when you’re moving internationally. It will help you determine the size of the space you need for your belongings and ensure that everything fits into your new home.
To calculate cubic feet:
- Start by measuring each item’s length, width, and height in inches.
- Multiply those numbers together to get the volume in cubic inches.
- Divide that number by 1,728 to convert it to cubic feet.
For example, let’s say you have a box that is 24 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 12 inches tall. The volume of that box would be 4,608 cubic inches (24 x 18 x 12). Dividing that by 1,728 would give you 2.67 cubic feet.
Remember that not all items will be a perfect rectangle, so you may need to get creative with your measurements.
How to calculate professional packing services for an international move
When planning an international move, it’s essential to factor in the cost of professional packing services. It can be a significant expense, but it’s worth ensuring that your belongings are safe and secure during transit.
There are a few different ways to calculate the cost of professional packing services. The first is to ask your moving company for a quote. They will be able to give you an estimate based on the size and scope of your move.
Another way to calculate the cost of professional packing services is to use an online calculator. It can be a helpful tool if you’re unsure how much packing will be required for your particular move. Generally speaking, professional packing will make up about 10% of the total cost.
How to estimate trucking cost for an international move
If you’re moving overseas, chances are there will be trucking charges in your move. Your goods will need to get to and from the port. Trucking charges are based on the volume of your move or container size.
For example, if you’re moving a 20′ container from Los Angeles, you can expect to pay $500 to $700 for trucking. However, if you have a minor move, you can expect to pay $250 to $400.
It’s always best to speak with your moving company directly about the details of your move. However, you can use the international moving cost calculator to help plan.
How much is ocean freight when moving overseas?
Ocean freight will cost $350 to $1500. The required cubic feet or container size will be the most significant cost factor. You’ll also want to consider the origin and destination ports.
Remember that each moving company works differently, and the mover’s costs can vary. Another factor to consider is the peak moving season, May through August. Rates will increase by about 25%.
How much is full destination service
Full destination service is $500 to $2500. The size of your move is the most significant cost factor. However, you will also want to consider port-related charges like terminal handling fees.
Moving your stuff from the port of entry to your final destination will be a cost. It’s called full destination service. Most international moving companies will include full destination on a door-to-door move.
If you decide on a port pickup service, it will reduce the price dramatically. Any professional moving company can walk you through the process and help you calculate moving costs.
How to secure a visa
There are many factors to consider when securing a visa from the US to another country. The following steps can help ensure that you have the best chance of success:
1. Determine your eligibility – To qualify for a visa, you must meet the requirements of the country you are hoping to move to. Make sure to research these requirements thoroughly to put your best foot forward during the application process.
2. Collect the required documentation – To apply for a visa, you will need to gather various documents such as proof of employment, financial records, and more. Be sure to collect all of the required items before beginning your application.
3. Submit your application – Once you have gathered the necessary documentation, you can begin the application process. It will involve filling out forms, providing supporting materials, and paying associated fees.
4. Attend an interview – In many cases, you will be required to attend an interview as part of the visa application process. It is your chance to show that you are a qualified candidate and explain your reasons for wanting to move to the country in question.
5. Wait for a decision -. If everything goes well, you should receive your visa in time and be on your way to your new home abroad!
International moving costs
Hiring a moving company is only one part of the equation. There are many costs to consider when moving from the US abroad. Below you will find some expenses you may need to pay.
1. Passport and visa costs: You may need a passport and visa depending on your country of origin and destination. These can be costly, so factor them into your budget.
2. Storage costs: If you cannot take everything with you, you may need to rent a storage unit in your destination country.
3. Cost of living: Depending on your destination country, the cost of living can be very different from what you’re used to. Be sure to do some research, so you know what to expect.
4. Language barriers: If you’re not fluent in the language of your destination country, you may need to take classes or hire a translator.
7. Medical costs: If you have any medical conditions, research the cost of healthcare in your destination country. You may need to purchase health insurance or make arrangements to pay out-of-pocket medical care.
8. Taxes: Depending on your tax situation, you may be required to pay taxes in both your home and destination countries. Be sure to get advice from a tax professional.
You should also consider any travel fees associated with your move. Other additional costs may arise, but by doing basic research, you can plan accordingly.
How to find an international moving company
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there are over 5500 lisenced movers in the United States. However, only 5% are licensed by the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) to perform ocean freight services. Below are tips on finding an international moving company.
- Research: If you’re moving overseas, it is essential to find a good moving company. You can start by going online, doing basic research, and checking reviews.
- Check license: You should always ask your moving company for their license information and check it on the FMC website.
- Ask the right questions: When interviewing moving companies, you must ask the right questions.
- Hidden charges: Ask your moving company about hidden costs such as tax, port, and terminal charges.
- Get three quotes: Don’t get more than three moving quotes.
- Price shop: International moving is a skill that requires knowledge. It’s not a service you want to price shop. However, you can always ask your mover for a discount.
These tips should help you locate the right international moving company.
How to reduce international moving costs
There are a few key ways to reduce the cost of an international move:
1. Ship what you need – This may seem obvious, but it’s essential to only ship items you need. Shipping costs can add up quickly, so you must be selective about what you ship.
2. Shop around for quotes – Don’t just go with the first quote you receive. Get quotes from multiple companies and compare prices. You can use this moving cost calculator to help with planning.
3. Choose the suitable shipping method – There are various shipping methods available, each with its benefits and drawbacks. Choose the shipping method that best suits your needs and budget.
4. Plan ahead – The sooner you start planning your move, the better. It will give you more time to compare quotes and find the best deal.
5. Use an international moving company – Hiring a global moving company can be a great way to save money on your move. They can help you with your move, from packing to shipping to customs clearance.
Following these tips can save significant money on your international move.
How far in advance should I book my international move?
When moving to a new country, giving yourself enough time to plan and prepare for the big move is essential. Depending on your specific circumstances, you may need to book your move date several months in advance.
Moving cost calculator
International Van Lines created an international moving cost calculator based on general costs. However, it would help if you spoke with professional moving companies about cost.
There are many variables when moving overseas. The size of your move, destination, and the service you require significantly impact the cost.
It’s always best to get three moving quotes and ensure all services are comparable.
Moving with International Van Lines
International Van Lines is an excellent option for those looking to move their belongings overseas. We have a wide range of services that we can provide, and we are very experienced in moving people’s belongings from one country to another. We created an international moving cost calculator to help you with planning.
If you are considering using international van lines to move your belongings, it is essential to research the company thoroughly before making a decision. There are many different companies out there that offer this service, so you want to be sure that you are choosing the right one.
If you have any questions about moving overseas or want an international moving quote, you can call us or fill out the form online.