The Best International Moving Companies of 2024
International moves are a journey full of opportunities for personal and career growth, but they’re also very challenging and involve many different moving parts that complicate the process.
While you can move locally without the help of a moving company, moving your belongings internationally without one is not an option. Because of this, you need a reputable company with experienced staff that can ensure a smooth and headache-free relocation.
To help you choose, we’ve compiled a list of the best international moving companies in the US that can help you relocate to over 150 countries and smoothly start this new stage of your life.
1. International Van Lines
IVL is a versatile moving company focusing on transparency, flexibility, and complete services that meet your specific moving needs. With over 20 years of experience in international moves and over 200 staff members, IVL can perform door-to-door international relocations via air or sea to over 150 countries.
Its services include professional packing and unpacking, furniture assembly, storage, and vehicle transport while providing liability protection for your belongings during transit.
- Upfront about pricing. You can estimate your moving costs with an online calculator.
- Offers a la carte options for personalized services.
- Live chat and 24/7 customer service for assistance.
- Short and long-term storage.
- Car, motorcycle, boat, and recreational vehicle (RV) shipping.
- International corporate, military, and commercial relocation services.
- Licensed by the DOT, FMC and AMSA.
- May partner with other local moving companies in certain states for moves. Check for availability in your area.
2. Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines is a moving company that delivers local, interstate, and international moving solutions with basic and full-service packages. Allied Van Lines is known for its highly versatile moving plans, price transparency, dependable customer service, and aiding military families in long-distance and international moves.
Its services include international residential, corporate, office and military moves to over 130 countries, loading and unloading, furniture disassembly and assembly, shipment tracking, and basic liability coverage.
As with all moving companies, move costs depend on the distance and the weight of your belongings and its in-home estimates eliminate any concern for surprise fees.
- Widely available across the US.
- Accurate quotes.
- Ability to track your move online.
- Higher costs than most competitors.
- Customer service is not 24/7.
- Low customer service rating in the Better Business Bureau.
3. North American Van Lines
North American Van Lines is a moving company with a long history from the early 30s. In that time, it amassed a network of more than 500 mover agents across the US that provide full moving services domestically and internationally.
They offer various services, including residential, commercial, and corporate international moves. North American Van Lines stands out for its customizable services, GPS tracking, insurance options, 24/7 customer service, and guaranteed written quotes.
The company doesn’t require a deposit from their customers but also offers senior discounts.
Overall, North American Van Lines is a reputable, customer-focused moving company with many solutions.
- Customizable services to fit your budget and needs.
- Full moving services (assembly and disassembly, packing and unpacking, etc.)
- GPS tracking for added convenience and peace of mind.
- Additional insurance options for extra protection.
- 24/7 customer service for support and inquiries.
- Guaranteed written quotes to avoid unexpected costs.
- No deposit is required.
- Senior discounts.
- The website only provides some pricing and company information customers need to make informed decisions.
4. Atlas Van Lines
Atlas Van Lines is an international mover with a 75-year-old history, widespread availability throughout the US and Canada, and a full range of services. Atlas’s services include full-service packing and unpacking, long-term storage, vehicle transportation, travel services, and a network of over 1,500 global partners in 17 countries.
Atlas is a reputable moving company with a vast service network, making it a good choice for international relocations. However, keep in mind that Atlas is more like a network than a single unified company. Therefore, the quality of services depends on the specific provider near you.
That said, it’s still a competent company that’s effectively served American families for over seven decades.
- Operations in all 50 states and Canada.
- A network of over 400 agents across the United States and Canada.
- Long-term storage options.
- Transparent pricing.
- Travel services include flight coordination, hotel, car rentals, and more through Atlas World-Class Travel.
- Does not provide instant online estimates.
- Getting a quote may take some time.
- Customer experience may vary depending on the agent.
5. United Van Lines
United Van Lines is a reputable international moving company that provides comprehensive services, residential and corporate moves, instant online quotes, consultation for in-home estimates, full-service packing and unpacking, storage, vehicle transportation, and debris pickup.
However, two things to keep in mind are that United’s pricing tends to be slightly higher than some competitors and that it offers limited pricing transparency, as expressed by a few online reviewers.
But that doesn’t change the fact that they have over three decades of experience and offer an extensive network of international partners who will make your relocation a reality.
- Quick online estimates.
- Performs moves to over 150 countries.
- Various storage options.
- Full moving services.
- Customizable plans to accommodate unique moving requirements.
- In-home tech support for installing/uninstalling home theaters and computer networks.
- Slightly higher prices than some competitors.
- Limited pricing transparency and unclear pricing system.
6. JK Moving Services
Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Sterling, Virginia, JK Moving Services has become one of the largest and best-established American international moving companies.
As a FIDI-accredited mover, JK offers a wide range of international moving services, including business and residential moves to over 150 countries, government relocations, specialty relocations such as IT and data equipment, storage options (including seven free days of storage for small moves), pet transportation through its sister company CapRelo, and chartered flights for its customers.
Additional services include full-service packing, shipment tracking, two insurance options, vehicle transport, and electronics assembly at your destination.
- Move financing through a third-party lender.
- A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, signaling high customer satisfaction.
- Option for sustainable, boxless moving with reusable crates and recycled moving blankets.
- FIDI accreditation.
- Storage for your belongings and vehicle shipping.
- Customers need to contact a company representative to obtain a quote without the option for an online one.
- Relatively expensive. JK Moving can be costly compared to some other moving companies.
- Non-refundable $250 deposits.
How to Find a Reputable Moving Company?
Follow these recommendations to narrow down your options and choose only reputable companies:
- Explore their services. Compare their services with your needs and determine if they match.
- Check the licensing. Ensure pertinent organizations like the DOT, FMC, AMSA, and FIDI license the company.
- Read online reviews. You can learn much about a company’s inner workings and customer service tendencies by reading reviews from third-party pages like Trustpilot, Better Business Bureau, and Google Reviews.
- Research about the insurance they provide. Ensure the insurance they provide is adequate for your needs. You can browse their website for information, but communicating with them is the best way to know their policies in-depth.
- Check for extra fees and hidden costs. Reading reviews, asking for quotes in advance, and communicating with the company can help you spot hidden fees and other unexpected expenses.
- Watch out for scams. Look out for cash-only transactions, brokers who aren’t transparent about the fact that they only connect you with other companies, lack of licensing, too-good-to-be-true estimates, and outstanding deposits.
- Ask people you know. Ask any expat friends and family members about how they coordinated their moves. That can help you determine the services you need and the right company to meet them.
Looking for an International Moving Company Near You?
With over two decades of experience, International Van Lines has been touted as the #1 international moving company by Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, Fox Business, and many more. If you’re looking for international relocation services near you, reach out today and get a free quote to get started. Our team is ready to help you with any questions to help you start planning your move.