Are you looking for the cost of moving from the US to Calgary?
There are many reasons why someone might choose to move from the US to Calgary. Perhaps they have family in the area, or they may be looking for a change of pace. Whatever the reason, there are a few things to consider before making a move.
One of the most important factors to consider is the cost of living in Calgary. Compared to other major cities in Canada, Calgary is relatively affordable. According to Numbeo, the cost of living in Calgary is about 18% cheaper than in Toronto and 12% cheaper than in Vancouver.
Another critical factor to consider is the climate. Calgary has a continental climate, which means that it experiences hot summers and cold winters.
This article will break down the cost of moving from the US to Calgary and money-saving tips when moving abroad.
Also, check out: How much will it cost to move overseas
Cost of moving from the US to Calgary
Quick answer: The average cost of moving from the US to Calgary is $4300 to $7500. The size of your move is the most significant cost factor. However, the service, time of year, and mover you chose can also affect the cost. The good news is there are ways of reducing your moving costs.
Get rid of stuff: There’s no better time to downsize or get rid of things than moving. Go room by room and create a list of items you can live without and consider getting rid of them. Many non-profits can pick up your stuff at no cost, or you can sell them online for some extra cash.
Service: A sure way to reduce moving costs are to self-pack. However, you will want to weigh the pros and cons of self-packing for a move. Although you will save about 10% on your moving costs, it is labor-intensive and time-consuming.
Find a good mover: Although it may seem obvious to find the best national moving company, it’s not. Many people make the mistake of price shopping, which costs them more. Look for a quality moving company with the knowledge of Calgary and a good reputation.
Cost of living in Calgary vs. the US
If you’re moving from the United States to Calgary, you may be wondering what the cost of living is like in this Canadian city. According to Numbeo, the average cost of living in Calgary is about 20% higher than the average cost of living in the United States. However, this number can vary depending on your lifestyle and needs.
For example, if you are a single person with no children, you may find that your cost of living is lower in Calgary than in the US. Many expenses, such as healthcare and transportation, are much cheaper in Canada than in the US. However, if you have a family or plan on buying a home in Calgary, your costs will be higher.
The best way to get an accurate estimate of your cost of living in Calgary is to use a cost of living calculator. It will consider your unique circumstances and give you a more personalized estimate. However, even with a calculator, it’s important to remember that the cost of living in any city can vary. The cost of moving from the US to Calgary is relatively inexpensive to most destinations.
The cost of shipping a car to Calgary
Quick answer: The average cost of shipping a car from the US to Calgary is $1500 to $2500. Your vehicle’s size and service will significantly impact the price.
There are a few things to keep in mind when shipping a car from the US to Calgary:
- Arrange for the vehicle to be picked up and delivered to the port or terminal.
- You’ll need to obtain the necessary paperwork, including a bill of lading and proof of insurance.
- You’ll need to pay any required fees and taxes.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to shipping a car from the US to Calgary.
1. Arrange for pick-up and delivery. The first step is to find a reputable shipping company that offers service from the US to Calgary. Once you’ve found a company, you’ll need to schedule a pick-up date and time. Be sure to have the car ready for transport on the day of pick-up, including any personal belongings you want to ship with the vehicle.
2. Obtain the necessary paperwork. Before the car can be shipped, you’ll need to obtain a bill of lading and proof of insurance. The shipping company should provide you with the necessary forms.
3. Pay any required fees and taxes. Once all of the paperwork is in order, you’ll need to pay any required fees and taxes. These may include import duties, VAT, and other charges. Be sure to ask about all applicable fees and taxes before shipping your car, so there are no surprises later on.
How much should I budget for a move to Calgary?
The cost of moving from the US to Calgary is only part of it. When you’re budgeting for a move to Calgary, there are a few key things to keep in mind:
- Factor in the cost of your flight or other transportation to get there.
- You’ll need to account for the cost of housing and utilities.
- Budget for groceries and other necessary expenses like clothes and toiletries.
- Don’t forget to factor in the price of entertainment and activities to help you settle into your new home.
Assuming you’re moving from the US, here’s a breakdown of some of the high costs you can expect:
– Flight: Depending on where you’re coming from, your flight to Calgary could cost anywhere from $400-$1000.
– Housing: Rent in Calgary is relatively affordable, especially compared to other major cities. You can expect to pay around $1000/month for a one b around $200/month.
– Entertainment: There’s no shortage of things to do in Calgary, and you can find entertainment to suit any budget. A movie ticket costs around $12, and a pint of beer at a bar is typical $7.
– Utilities: Utilities will vary depending on the size of your apartment and how much you use them, but you can expect to pay around $100/month for gas, electricity, and water.
– Groceries: groceries are reasonably priced in Calgary.
How to reduce moving costs
There are many ways to reduce the cost of moving from the US to Calgary, whether you’re hiring a professional company or doing it yourself. Here are some tips to help you save money on your move:
– Get quotes from multiple moving companies to compare rates.
– Ask about discounts or promotions that may be available.
– If possible, schedule your move for mid-week or during off-peak hours when rates are typically lower.
– Pack your belongings yourself to save on packing costs.
– Use recycled materials like newspapers and boxes from local stores to pack your items.
– Don’t move items you don’t need – hold a garage sale, donate them, or sell them online.
– Arrange for friends or family to help you with the move to save on labor costs.
By following these tips, you can save money on your move and reduce the overall cost of your relocation.
What’s the weather like in Calgary?
The weather in Calgary is very similar to that in the United States. The average temperature in Calgary is about 10 degrees Celsius, while in the United States, it is about 15 degrees Celsius. However, there are some differences in the seasons.
In Calgary, the winters are much colder than in the United States, with an average temperature of -5 degrees Celsius. In addition, Calgary gets a lot of snowfall, making driving and walking difficult. The summers are also shorter in Calgary, lasting only about two months.
Even though the weather may be different in each country, overall, it is pretty similar. So if you’re used to the temperature in the United States, you’ll be just fine in Calgary!
The bottom line
The conclusion of moving from the US to Calgary is that it is an excellent move for those who want to experience a new culture and lifestyle. There are many benefits to living in Calgary, including the city’s low cost of living, diverse population, and close proximity to the Rocky Mountains. While there may be some challenges associated with moving to a new city, Calgary is an excellent place to live.
When looking for a moving company, make sure you spend some time and research. Moving abroad sounds a lot more stressful than it has to be, and the cost of moving from the US to Calgary doesn’t have to break the bank.
If you’re considering a move to Calgary, I hope this article has helped you understand some of the key benefits and challenges of relocating to this great Canadian city.
If you’re looking for the cost of moving from the US to Calgary, give us a call today!